Ever wondered why your skin looks so great after a facial? Well, it’s not always just the products doing the miracle work. The way creams and lotions are applied to the face has been an integral part of Japanese beauty regimes for decades — with even store-bought skincare sold with detailed guides on how to apply each product.
If you haven’t heard of facial massaging, it’s time to acquaint yourself with this home remedy for your skin. Quick, easy and relaxing, the technique is designed to increase circulation to the face, as well as stimulating the lymphatic system, which in turn helps reduce puffiness and drains our faces of excess fluid. The result? As well as feeling more relaxed and revived, we actually look it, with skin appearing more “awake” and radiant, and any fine lines or wrinkles looking less prominent.
Facial massage increases circulation and stimulates the lymphatic system, which in turns helps reduce puffiness
SHISEIDO makeup artist Thalia Phamova is a firm devotee of the home remedy for your skin. “Regular facial massages should help to improve the quality of skin and the circulation, as well as helping reduce the appearance of wrinkles,” she explains. “But when you prepare the skin well using these techniques, products actually work better on the skin. A facial massage doesn’t have to take long — there are plenty of brilliantly effective options designed to get your skin looking healthy in less than 10 minutes. I recommend that whenever customers put their moisturizer on, they massage the skin in this way. It’s really beneficial and will definitely pay off in long-term.”
We asked Phamova to talk us through one of her favorite facial massage techniques. Best paired with SHISEIDO’s Eye and Lip Contour Regenerating Cream from the Future Solution LX Collection, it’s a massage designed to eliminate that tired look around the eyes, helping to reduce puffiness — perfect if those late nights are catching up with you. Since the rich, hydrating cream absorbs instantly, dark circles may become inconspicuous, and the cream’s reparative effects will help the delicate skin to thrive, reducing signs of aging and fatigue. Best done first thing in the morning (or last thing at night) on clean skin, it takes around five minutes. Here, Phamova tells us how it’s done.
1) First, spread the SHISEIDO Future Solution LX Eye and Lip Contour Regenerating Cream gently under the eyes and onto the eyelids.
2) Next, gently press the depressions below the brows, sliding the fingers around the eyes in a circular motion three times, before lightly pressing the temples. This will really help to awaken your eyes and stimulate circulation in the important eye area.
3) Starting under the eyes, lightly lift the skin from the inner corners of the eyes towards to the temples. Repeat on the eyelids too, gently running your fingers over them with a gentle lifting motion towards the temples. Repeat this three times.
4) Now, gently spread the SHISEIDO Future Solution LX Eye and Lip Contour Regenerating Cream on the chin and under the nose.
5) Place your fingers just below the lower lip and lift the lip corners gently towards your cheekbones. Then stretch the skin above the upper lip outwards towards your cheeks, as if to smooth out wrinkles. Again, repeat both steps three times.
6) Now, with slightly more pressure, stretch the nasolabial folds (the folds that run from each side of the nose to the corners of the mouth) upwards and outwards towards the outer corners of the eyes and cheekbones. Again, repeat this three times.
Feeling fresher already? Thought so.